June 16, 2008

Trip Home, Trip Back

Since I've promised pictures but haven't yet delivered, here are a few good ones...


So, the annual Belcher-Simeone-Eady-Gustafson camping trip was another yearly success. There was food. There was bocce ball. There were tons and tons of... black flies. Yeah, we'll definitely camp during an earlier weekend next year! But bugs aside, we had a really great time. And by the afternoon of the first day, a nice, chilly breeze blew in and blew all those nasty bugs into the forest. And it was good.

Daryl and I have yet to repeat our 2006 bocce championship. Cait and Jared won this year, which is not as much favorite as Daryl and I winning, but still favorite, since they're family. (see Brian Regan's "snow cones" comedy routine for the favorites reference, if it doesn't make sense...)

Mom, Caroline, and I playing with the yet unborn newborn in Cait's tummy. Caroline and I managed to convince one of our little cousins (who asked how the baby breathes) that it has gills and is thus a fish baby. We want to name it Nemo.

In all seriousness, though, it's pretty exciting that I'm going to be an aunt sometime soon! They don't know if it is going to be a boy or a girl, and I'm dying to find out. Cait's the cutest pregnant lady EVER.


The girls on the beach--Ruhiyyih, Caroline, me, Cait, Terry, mom, and Tonia. I miss you all!


What trip to the north would be complete without feeding random wildlife? This deer looks like it likes me, but it really only likes Triscuits. Still--cool to feed a deer, even if it is at a petting zoo. Mom and Dad took me here all the time when I was really young, but it's way cooler now. You can feed bears "bear juice" (which I think is code for root beer, to keep the PETA people from getting irritated), feed goats, and if you go at the right time of year the zoo is full of baby animals. The cutest? The baby porcupine. Soooo cute...


Breakfast at Paul Bunyan's all-you-can-eat family style restaurant. Another northwoods classic.



Dad's Father's Day cake, made by Caroline. This girl can BAKE. She made Cait's wedding cake, and if anyone reading this needs one, her prices are low and her cakes are delicious! :)



Mom and I at the airport. Flying out of Central Wisconsin is awesome. There is nobody in line, there are three gates, and when she dropped Daryl and I off there was a dead deer about eight feet from the parking lot. Gotta love Wisconsin.


Daryl and I on Mom and Dad's porch. You can just barely see the lake through the trees behind us. Beautiful. I miss it so much already!

It was great to be home.

Now we're back in the swing of things in Burbank, which (by the way) is not a bad place to spend a summer. I still can't shake the feeling that I'm on vacation. Even work doesn't seem like work when it's 75 degrees and sunny with no humidity. My soul feels happy in this weather. I just can't help it!

I'm preaching this Sunday. Exciting? Yes! Nerve-wracking? Also yes! I'm more than a little bit nervous, but I'm also incredibly grateful for the opportunities Pastor Ross gives us here. We've done so much in the past few weeks, and learned so very, very much.

I'll be preaching on Matthew 10:24-33. Those of you who are pray-ers, please keep me in yours over this next week--that the Word of God would be proclaimed clearly and boldly in my message, and that I would be faithful in loving the people at this church were we're serving, through my words and my actions.

Time for dinner. It's amazing how being outdoors so much makes me want to eat healthier things. This winter I felt a bit like Cookie Monster, but now fruits and veggies are looking better and better. Well... that and shave ice. But how bad can sugary, fruity syrup over ice really be for a person?

3 comments:

Nicole & James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole & James said...

Hey Courtney - I love all your pics. Wisconsin looks beautiful! And your sister does look super cute - how exciting. And thanks for your long e-mail...i've been waiting for a nice long chunk of time at home so I can properly respond (I'm at work right now). Anyhow, I am so excited for your sermon and will keep you in my prayers.

Also, I am very jealous of your outdoor time...James and I have been realizing how much we miss nature. We managed to have a day away from Princeton on Sunday - we went to Lambertville, which is a super cute town on the Delaware River right by where WA crossed the Delaware. We found a great spot along the river, right under a tree with nobody else around - and all we could see across the river were more trees. For a brief hour I felt like I was in the great vast wilderness. Tell Daryl Hi!

Weiseth's said...

Dude! Your sister is preggo! That's awesome :)

Looks like you guys had a nice time in Wisconsin... glad you were able to get away and see the family for a while. We'll be praying for you, Court, as you prepare to preach!