November 24, 2009

The Best TV Show of All Time

I like good TV. This is not something I'm entirely proud to admit (according to Stuff White People Like not having a TV is a point of pride for most middle-class, highly-educated white folks), but there it is. Television shouldn't be a crutch, a babysitter, or an excuse for not really living life, but it has its place in modern life and it isn't going away anytime soon, so we might as well all admit that we like something about it.

Part of my love of a good TV show is being without Daryl for the year. The house is quiet and still, and I've found myself studying with the TV on sometimes because it's just so darned silent in here. Another part of it is my literature background and love of a good story. When I don't have time to read for fun (and who does in grad. school, really?), an hour long drama can fill that place in my heart, albeit only partially.

I have some current favorites (Lost, Survivor, The Office), some past favorites (Arrested Development, The Cosby Show), and some guilty favorites (What Not to Wear), but one surpasses them all. This is the only TV show that I own, in its entirety, on DVD. It's the only one I'll occasionally leave on in the background when I'm studying because it feels like I know these characters so well they may really exist somewhere in D.C. What show, you ask?




The West Wing.

The West Wing's seven seasons aired from 1999-2006, and I didn't even discover it until some of my husband's roommates (hi, Joel and Evan!) became completely sucked in by it in 2005. Nerds as they were, they even developed their own riffed title: The Occidental Flying Appendage. Yup, those are my peeps.

Anyway, the West Wing is smart, witty, funny, clever, and creative. It helped that I discovered it so late, so we ended up renting it from the Wheaton library (how I miss you, Wheaton library!) and buying seasons online to  catch up. It's a good show to watch sans commercials, and it's great to watch two or more in a row on a snowy afternoon when I'm grading speeches or quizzes. The characters are all quirky, realistic, and well-developed. Its politics are generally pretty good, though obviously quite far from reality as we know it. A friend of mine says that the West Wing's government is "the one we think we deserve." It's about a democratic president and White House, but it shows both sides of issues fairly often. There are some awful Republican straw men, but there are also some complex and intelligent ones.

I think I must love the West Wing as much as I do in part because I want to be one of the characters: The press secretary CJ Cregg.

 

Played by Allison Janney (who I love - she's great in Juno, too), she's spunky, brilliant, and insightful. She also wears business suits but doesn't look frumpy. I have yet to master this. A wardrobe staff would probably help this... In my best moments, I think I show a little flash of CJ. Doesn't this even look like there's a possible sermon in progress here? She's in a suit, in front of a lecturn, with a distinctly Presbyterian-esque window to her right. This is what I'm going for. Mostly, though, I'm Donna, the secretary.

 

Yeah... working on that one. It's good for a college student, or a graduate student, or even a starting-out adjunct professor, not so much for an actual pastor who needs to be a bit more professional and a bit less...Donna. I mean, would you take ministerial advice from her?

Daryl is a mix of these three:



Grumpy but brilliant Toby...

 

Suave and brilliant (albeit slightly "pretty-boy") Sam...

 

And ridiculous-but-wonderful Josh, the Deputy Chief of Staff who just defies all adjectives. Except maybe punchy. And hilarious.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't yet been converted to the cult of the West Wing (and perhaps have 200 or so free hours to kill, are having major surgery and/or a baby in the upcoming months,  or need something to get you through the winter - if so, this is for you!), I thought I'd list the top 10 West Wing episodes of all time. If you want to get a taste and see if you'll like the show, the starred ones are the ones I'd try first. Granted, they will spoil some storylines, so if you're thinking of watching the show all the way through, stop reading now and just go out and get some WW for yourself. They go for $15-17 per season at Costco! Can't beat that.

Anyway, here they are, in descending order of my love for them:

10. "Liftoff" (Season 6, episode 4)

CJ gets a huge promotion and isn't sure how to handle it. This episode has some great gags (classic West Wing) as well as some interesting political questions. It's a transition episode, but it's handled quite well. And I just love CJ and I love watching how she handles herself when she's upset or worried. These are things I want to learn, even if she's just an actor.

"Liftoff" also has some fascinating scenes with Josh - how do you handle the promotion of someone over you when it should have been you?


* 9. "The U.S. Poet Laureate" (Season 3, episode 16)

The interplay between art, literature, and government here is fascinating. It also made me think about who I want to meet in my lifetime, and what type of obligation artists have to work for change.

 

8. "Commencement" (Season 4, episode 22)

The President's daughter is graduating, which sets in motion what will eventually be the finale of Season 4. Lots of action, excitement, and great father-daughter dynamics. I've always thought that if my dad were president, and I was going out on a date, the instructions Jed Bartlett gives to his daughter's secret service captain would be exactly what my dad would say:

President Bartlett: "...if something comes up and you're faced with the choice of killing the boyfriend or not killing the boyfriend, kill the boyfriend."

 

Also, Taye Diggs as the secret service captain. Nice.


7. "King Corn" (Season 6, episode 13)

During the start of the primary season, all presidential candidates travel to Iowa to speak at the Corn Grower's Association. The decision before them is simple: Do they praise ethanol and pledge to use it, even though it will drive up food prices? Or do they tell the truth about ethanol and risk coming in last in the Iowa caucuses? The political dilemma is explained clearly, and the choices the candidates choose to make are interesting as well.

* 6. "Privateers" (Season 4, episode 18)

This episode has the best-delivered line of any West Wing episode. Ever. And it isn't delivered by any of the main characters. And it gives CJ a fit of the giggles, which cracks me up every time.

* 5. "The Crackpots and These Women" (Season 1, episode 5)

This episode features the recurring theme of the "Big Block of Cheese Day" where all kooky fringe organizations that want 10 minutes at the White House are granted their due. I doubt this actually exists, but it's a great idea and definitely entertaining. It also offers Leo the chance for a speech, and John Spencer is worth watching every minute.


4. "Tomorrow" (Season 7, episode 22)

The West Wing finale. Sad, but good closure. It manages to sum up the show without feeling trite or rushed. It also made me wish it had been renewed for seven more seasons. I'd sure watch.


* 3. "Noel" (Season 2, episode 10)

This is Daryl's all-time favorite episode. It's Christmas in the White House (which is really beautiful), and dour Toby drags some professional bands in because he has been accused of "not being in the proper Christmas spirit." Josh deals with the stress of prior a violent encounter and struggles both to admit how much the tragedy affected him and to heal. The best interchange? Josh: "Am I always going to hear the sirens?" Counselor: "No." Josh: "Why not?" Counselor: "Because we get better."

If that doesn't make you want to watch this episode right now, what if I told you it ended with Yo-Yo Ma playing a solo? Because it does.

 

* 2. "The Supremes" (Season 5, episode 17)



Glenn Close plays a potential Supreme Court nominee. This episode shows several sides of the affirmative action debate, and the merit in free debate of ideas. It is one of the most idealistic of all WW episodes (there's no way the real government works anything like this), yet it's brilliantly written and acted.

1. "Two Cathedrals" (Season 2, episode 22)



The best WW episode of all time. I won't even spoil it with a description. It's incredible, but you have to watch all of Season 2 (in order) first to earn it.

All West Wing photos borrowed from here, which is a great West Wing resource for those of you who already love it.

No comments: