December 28, 2010

Update

It has been too long.

I'm sorry, friends. This past month has been an absolute whirlwind, and there were things I couldn't post about on here until they were sure things, which now they are.

I'll write more in depth later, and post some great photos, but for now, the summary is this:

I've accepted a call as a Presbyterian minister at a church in southern Wisconsin! I start January 9th, and my ordination service will be January 30th.

Daryl and I will be moving our belongings from Nashville next week, and he will return here to finish his coursework for the final semester of his PhD. He'll join me up north in May.

Wonderful blessings. I'm moving back to Wisconsin, my home state, to a beautiful, vibrant church. I'll be close to family once again. I'll live in a landscape that feeds my soul, full of trees and prairies and snow and summer grasses. I'll have the chance to pursue the vocation I've been training for over the past several years, and the one I've felt called to since college. I'll be close to dozens of friends and family in Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin.

All changes come with a tinge of sadness too, of course. This means more time away from Daryl. It meant I had to end my CPE program early. It means leaving Nashville--a city I love--and my Nashville friends who have become like family.

More to come about the job, Christmas, the death-flu that my whole family came down with over the holidays (eeesh...), our favorite new holiday board game, the best book I've read in quite awhile, and just general Christmas joy.

I'm back. Updates to come.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Daryl's PhD went by fast! Is he finishing the program, or finishing a time of in-class obligation?

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat said...

So good to read your writing again! Look forward to getting caught up before you leave us again! We love you!

Gluten Free Jesus Freak said...

Jenn - he's just finishing coursework. He'll still have comprehensive exams and then 3-4 years of writing a dissertation, but he can do those from Wisconsin so I get him back! :)

Heather - can't wait to see you guys!

Jenny said...

That's great news, that he'll be able to finish up the things that he'll have to be there for, so that he can do the rest by distance. Congratulations to you both!