December 17, 2009

10 Books You Should Read (and can Borrow from Me!)

Now that I've put my textbooks on the shelf for the next few weeks (anyone interested in reading Hebrew commentaries? Anyone? I haaaave some for you!), my thoughts have turned to the place they usually do: NOW what do I read?

Daryl laughed at me yesterday when he found me on the couch with a new novel. I turned in my paper and, feeling a bit lost after all the pressure of finals, Rider, and prepping our apartment and cats for three weeks without me (don't worry, they have people checking in on them!), opened a book. Books have always been my comfort when I feel lost.

This morning, with nothing pressing, I'm in my pajamas, reading. Comedien Jim Gaffigan says that he would love to spend his life in bed. "I just had a bed day! Everyone wants one, but no one is quick to volunteer that information. 'Were you sick?' No, I was in heaven." Yeah, that's been my morning. And it's glorious.

So I got to thinking, what are the books that have really stuck with me during the past few years? What are ten books I would recommend to almost any friend, anytime, anywhere? Here are my current ten novels-I-love.



10. The Known World - Edward P. Jones

This one was a challenge, I'll admit. The "well, it won the Pulitzer, I might as well give it another page or two" kept me going. It's work to read, but it's worth it. Known is a really interesting account of a slave-owning African-American family in Virginia in the late 19th century. Did you know that there were African-Americans who owned slaves? Me neither. Jones's characters are rich and full, and his take on history is really interesting.

9. On Beauty - Zadie Smith

I love Zadie Smith. White Teeth is great, too, though I like this one a little bit more. I've heard she's completely cranky and ridiculous in interviews, which kind of makes me like her more. If I was a famous author, I would totally give myself permission to be eccentric and kooky (albeit brilliantly so) in public. It's a bit racy in places, so avoid it if that's not your thing.


8. The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Every year I give my brother-in-law Jared my favorite novel of the year. Two years ago it was Gilead (see #2), and last year it was The Life of Pi. Once you get through the self-important first chapter (I am a highly educated man who thinks much of himself!), it becomes a fast-paced, exciting read with a surprising conclusion that will make you want to read the whole thing again right away. Kind of like Lost, but set in a boat with only a handful of characters.

7. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Yes, John Irving kind of hates women. Yes, I have a problem with that. Yes, this is a fantastic book. No, it should never have been made into a movie.

6. The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

I just mailed this to my friend Inga (who is all the way over in Iraq right now - Hi, Inga!). I love this book. It's not as love-story-ish as the title makes it sound, yet it is about love. And life. And regret. And a really sweet old man who struggles with everyday life. Worth reading and keeping.



5. The Parable of the Sower - Octavia Butler

Octavia Butler is an African-American science fiction writer (one of the first of her kind). I normally hate sci-fi, but this novel is simply set in the future. There are no aliens and nothing goes into space. This book turns ideas of power and responsibility on their heads, describes a west-coast apocalypse, and is all told from the perspective of a 17-year old girl. Dr. Pierce assigned this class for her "American Religion/American Literature course, and to her I say a hearty thanks. I'm secretly hoping that I get the sequel (The Parable of the Talents) in my stocking this Christmas...

4. The Namesake - Jhumpa Laihiri

Daryl's step-mom, Deborah, is a member of a really great book club. Sometimes I get the books when she's done (which I love, love, love). This was her most recent gifting to me. The Namesake follows the story of a young Indian-American boy named Gogol, his family's difficulties in assimilating to American life, and his own search for identity. It's a beautiful story about family, history, and finding the courage to be yourself. Also, as someone who had the last name "Belcher" (which always does raise some eyebrows when meeting new folks) up until three years ago, I loved Gogol's name-related questioning even more.

3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

This is another book I gleaned from Deborah's kindness. Set in China, it follows a young girl's struggle with friendship, honesty, class, and identity. For anyone who has struggled with girl friendships (and really, who hasn't? fifth grade is rough), this is a great read. It also has a terrifying scene involving foot-binding, which I didn't know was so utterly horrific. It made me very, very thankful for my nice size-8's.



2. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson

This novel is glorious. Set in Iowa, it follows an aging minister (John Ames), as he seeks to leave a legacy for his seven-year old son. It's one of the best expressions of Christianity in popular literature, and the novel moves at a pace that is slow and reflective but never boring. Reading this novel is like taking a trip out to the countryside during a mild and sunny summer. You can almost feel the breeze and smell the trees. This one never fails to refresh my soul.

1. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Daryl says that I just like to say "Eugenides." That's true. Say it! It's fun. But besides the fact that he has a super-fun Greek name, Eugenides is an incredible author. Don't let the Oprah sticker throw you off (and besides, I read this one before Oprah put her sticker on it, which makes me feel proud to be ahead of the masses AND proves that the book is good ,not just mass-market good). If you're interested in questions of gender-identity, or just up for a suck-you-in story that covers over three generations (reminiscent of Steinbeck's East of Eden), this is a fantastic read. Even Daryl's about halfway through, and he's not big on reading novels.

I loved Middlesex so much I read Eugenides first award-winner, The Virgin Suicides, last year. A word of advice? Don't. The books couldn't be more different, and Suicides is just flat-out creepy and sad.



Honorable mention: My Friend Leonard - James Frey

Yes, I know. James Frey got in big trouble. But as someone who writes creative nonfiction herself, I say: WHO CARES? The man can write. And whether or not he added bits and pieces to his personal story of recovery matters much less than the fact that A Million Little Pieces was an incredible work of literature. I reread it almost every year, and I cry every time.

My Friend Leonard is the sequel to Little Pieces. It follows up on the relationship between Frey and his friend, gangster-boss and recovering addict Leonard. It ends with a conclusion I never saw coming.

On my Wish List:
2. The Parable of the Talents - Octavia Butler
1. Peace Like a River - Leif Enger

Anyone have a book to add (or hated one of the ones I listed)? What are your favorite reads from the past few years? What helps you to relax at the end of a tough season?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I've added these to my Goodreads "to-read" queue. Excited about the recommendations, thank you!

Gluten Free Jesus Freak said...

Start with Gilead if you haven't read it - it's great for the holidays and it's a really restful read.

lb said...

My probable top 3 of the year: Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, The Plague of Doves by Louise Erdrich, and The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.

Also, check out Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Equal to if not better than The Namesake.

Unknown said...

I too LOVED Gilead. Devil in the White City is excellent tho non-fiction. I also loved THe Professor and the Madman, also non-fiction. Alex and Me. A must read true story of a Professor and her Gray Parrot.