December 17, 2009

Thursday Recipes - Stir Fry Sauce

Hello, friends!

It is Thursday. Today is happy for many, many reasons.

1. I am in Nashville, with the man I love (and happen to be married to!).
2. I turned in my final, final paper at 6pm yesterday. Thus, finals season have ended for me, and I am free to be sleepy, brain-dead, and full of Christmas spirit. I can also read novels for FUN now, which is a great gift.
3. I turned in my final grades for Rider, and I'm done being a teacher until mid-January. This is a break I always look forward to with great anticipation. No more quizzes to grade, lessons to plan, or lectures to give. Allllll done.
4. Daryl turns in his final paper at 5pm today. After that, I get my husband back. Hallelujah.
5. I have pumpkin bread baking in the oven. Mmmmm. If it turns out, it'll be next week's GF recipe.

Asian food is a great way to go if you're dining with someone who is gluten-free. However, soy sauce usually contains wheat, and many other good Asian sauces contain soy sauce (teriyaki, for one). You can buy gluten-free soy sauce, but it's also pretty easy to make your own tasty stir-fry sauce. Below are the two favorites I've come up with lately. I love making sauces because they're pretty difficult to mess up, as long as you taste them along the way. Do they need more salt? More oil? More seasoning? Add it in!

Sweet Lemon Ginger Stir-Fry Sauce

1/2 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 T. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. roasted red pepper
1 t. ground ginger
1 T. corn starch

This is great with chicken, stir-fry veggies (I love carrots, snow peas, baby corn, and water chestnuts) and jasmine rice.

Hot Pepper Stir-Fry Sauce

2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 c. beef broth
1 t. cider vinegar
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. hot pepper sauce
1 T. olive oil
1 T. corn starch

This is tasty with beef, onions, and red & green peppers, served over brown rice. Mmmmm.

No comments: