February 26, 2010

Snow Day Take Two: Dream House Edition I

Well, I'm snowed in again. This isn't as fun as it would be on, say, a Monday, since I don't have any classes or work today anyway. Just lots of reading, editing, and studying. But it is fun to look out the window and see everyone's cars buried.

In honor of the snow day, and the soon-to-come celebration Daryl and I are planning when we're officially back together (hint: it may involve Disneyland), I've decided to start looking at pictures of rooms and decorations, in hopes of planning the colors and ideas of the new place we'll live in Nashville. We're not sure yet if it will be an apartment or a small house, but we do know three things:

1) We will be painting the walls. All of them. Beautiful colors. After four years living in campus dorms and houses at Wheaton, one year in an apartment building that didn't allow painting, and three years in Princeton Seminary housing, we are sick of white walls. They make us feel institutionalized. And sad. And bored. My life needs COLOR, and lots of it.

2. The place we live will have good natural light. This is Daryl's only requirement. He loves light like a mouse loves cheese. He needs light like bacon needs eggs. The man's a natural light-loving fiend.

3. There will be a washer and dryer. Washing and drying clothes will not involve hiking down to a mold-infested, flooded basement full of spiders and insects. This is my only requirement (other than the painting).

We don't plan to buy much additional furniture, as we're pretty well stocked in that department. So in the spirit of using what we have and designing something beautiful, I've found these photos depicting interesting and beautiful rooms using our basic furniture:


Living room:


These are actually our exact couches. I love the warm gold walls with the red  couches, the beautiful colors of art on the back wall (though Daryl might nix the flowers and go for something more abstract), and the dark end tables. The curtains are beautiful, too, and I hope to be able to sew something like that soon. I wouldn't have thought to put the light-colored rug under the table, but I kinda like it. I'd either use that or the current rug we have with deeper browns, reds, and greens in it.









Bathroom:

 I know, I know, we probably won't have a super-modern-looking bathroom like this. But here I'm more interested in the color choices. After living with a bright pink bathroom (all the married apartments have them...) with several colors of pink (tile, tub, etc.), I'm about colored out in the bathroom department. I want the bathroom to be clean, simple, and soothing. When I wake up at 6am, grouchy and groggy, and stumble to the shower, I want it to communicate that this day will be okay. Also, I love the pale blue and tan. It feels like a spa to me.




The next edition will involve bedrooms and kitchens... Stay tuned...

Photos borrowed from c-thruwindows.com and terryfrank.net. 

No comments: